Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux for beginners session

On Sunday 08 July 2007 19:11, james kilty wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have made a start on documentation for the September session for
> beginners in Penzance.
>
> I enclose a list of links to guidance material which I saw as readable
> by the absolute beginner (used to Windows or Mac).
>
> I would be grateful for any comments on this selection, or individual
> links, or additional links or revisions to my minimalist descriptions.
> Please note, if you are very expert, put on a hat which says "new to all
> this - I have heard about it and wonder" or similar. It is a bit short
> as yet on the web pages of the major distros.
>
> It would be good to have a tutorial on setting up a secure system with
> router for several machines including Windows machines or modem for a
> single machine. I have not come across one so far.
>
> I have put them into a sort of order - beginners start at the top and
> work down.
>
> Links for beginners
> http://www.getgnulinux.org/ general introduction about why to switch
> http://www.control-escape.com/linux/contents.html Control-Escape "is
> meant as a gentle introduction to Linux" - Start here! Thorough and well
> set out in straightforward style
> http://www.davefancella.com/articles/introtolinux.html excellent
> introduction to the basic ideas in easy language
> http://www.tuxs.org/ as it says, "The goal of this site is to be the
> starting point for people wanting to learn about and try Linux for the
> first time, in easy to understand, non-technical language."
> http://polishlinux.org/ compare distros here plus pretty well everything
> for the beginner
> http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html Linux for absolute beginners
> http://www.linfo.org/distributionslist.html major linux distributions
> http://www.linfo.org/appslist.html list of applications for Linux
> http://www.linuxlinks.com/Beginners/ good intro at top link: Linux
> Distribution Guide
> http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/ excellent clear intro
> http://linuxbasics.org/tutorials/start - what it says: an excellent
> preread
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/ official site for ubuntu documentation
> http://www.ubuntux.org/ubuntu - tips for ubuntu
> http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/ tips for mandriva
> http://www.aboutdebian.com/ obvious - good thorough explanations
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2102876,00.asp series of articles
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Main_Page - for beginners installing
> Debian
> http://desktoplinuxathome.com/quick.html quick survey of software
> (without OOo)
> http://www.linfo.org/appslist.html list of applications for Linux
>
> http://www.fs-security.com/docs.php - firestarter, a free firewall
>
> more advanced
>
> http://www.reallylinux.com/ and/docs/consult.shtml- a bit too
> complicated for absolute beginners
> http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/ excellent clear intro based on the
> [...]

Will have a look at the links later tonight/tomorrow and report back my views
if it will help James. They may well be useful to help explain things to new
users for all of us!
If you see Tim at PzComputers (he is one of the technicians) say hi from me -
he was on an A+ course with me - he isn't a Linux fan ;)

Mark