Re: [LUG] Email return-path on error

stinga wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> Got a simple question, that I thought I knew the answer to!
>
> I send an email from user 'account@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx' to user
> a.person@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The mail bounces besause a.person entered their email in incorrectly.
>
> Mail bounces back to 'account@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
>
> I want all error email to go to customer.service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> But what ever I do it comes back to the sender, so every so often we
> have to clear out emails, (31000 last time, hmm, have not looked for a
> while!)

The most reliable way is probably to use customer.service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
for the SMTP envelope and account@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for the From header.
Bounces should then go to the first address.  Whether you're able to do
that or not of course depends on what sort of access you have to the
machine sending the email.

James