Re: [LUG] 2.5" TO 3.5" CONVERTS

Paul Sutton wrote:
> HI
>
> Just wondered if anyone had a spare 2.5" to 3.5  converter for
> connecting laptop hdd's to a normal pc ide connector,  I want to see if
> I can get a colleagues laptop hard drive connected to copy off any
> data,  (suspected dying or dead hdd),
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Can't say I have one myself although have you tried the System Rescue CD?

You can download it here: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

It supports all the usual main file systems and also reading NTFS
partitions out of the box.  It worked wonders when trying to recover
data off a faulty hard drive.

What I did was boot the laptop up from the System Rescue CD, connect to
the network, mount a remote samba share on /mnt/smb and the faulty drive
as /mnt/ntfs and then copy everything I could over (iirc the command I
used was cp -R /mnt/ntfs/* /mnt/smb or something along those lines).

Oh, while I think about it too, they also have a PowerPC version on the
site too although I haven't personally tried that as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Rob