Re: [LUG] Erasing HDD

On Sunday 24 June 2007 08:48, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I was upgrading from Kubuntu 6.06 to 6.10 yesterday. All went well until
> the last stage when an error message appeared. Subsequently I was unable to
> get beyond the loading of the Ubuntu kernel and then the screen went black.
> I suppose the best is to erase the HDD and do a clean installation of
> either 6.06 or 7.04 as I have CDs for both these versions. The problem is
> that I am not sure how to erase the HDD so perhaps a kind soul will advise
> me. There is no other OS on the HDD.
If you do an install there is normally a stage where the installer asks you if
you want to keep the current partitioning or use a new one. Let it use a new
one (can be the same but you want it to write the new stuff to disk to make
sure)  and it should ask if you want it formatting - say yes to this as that
will wipe the system clean enuf.

However you may be able to use your 6.06 install to REPAIR the current
installation if theres anything you want to recover.
Tom