Re: [LUG] Linux app for creating a backup or clone of a complete harddrive?

sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What i wanted to do didn't work, I tried a Knoppix Live CD. Checked for DCHP
> lease etc, umounted the drive i wanted to clone.
>
> then tried something like this
>
> dd if=/dev/hda | ssh user@remotehost /bin/dd of=/tmp/mypc_hda.img
>
> it created a 100MB file in seconds, But the drive has around 60GB of data.

I've documented upgrading the disk in an XP laptop using an external USB
drive and "dd" at debian-administration.org somewhere.

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/34

What is the limiting factor on the "dd"?

A few seconds to do 100MB is slower than USB2, but sounds like a 100Mbps
network, if so you either want Gigabit ethernet, more patience or
another local hard drive (with a suitable bus -- just don't mix up
source and destination - read only jumpers have their uses!).