Re: [LUG] ftp server on RHEL problem with reverse lookup

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> I get 'no route to host' after logging in just fine - and also some
> errors about reverse dns failures.

One of the FTP servers on Redhat use to default to requiring that
clients have a reverse DNS entry. It was a simple edit of the config
file to disable that requirement. I've no idea why it was left as a default.

As for no route to host -- no idea. Maybe a firewall in the way? Sounds
like two different problems -- sort the reverse DNS first.

Also is the no route error occurring when the data channel would be
opened? i.e. On a fetch or "dir" command. If so try passive mode FTP.

I think usually an entry in /etc/hosts for the clients IP address will
deal with the lack of reverse DNS. It should be logging all this nicely
in /var/log, so you should see what IP address it saw, and other such
complaints.