Re: [LUG] Vista still not catching on

Tom Potts wrote:
> I thought vista might be good for gaming but this article points to a survey
> that suggest less than 2% of gamers have gone to vista
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40049
> Perhaps OpenGL may save the day!

As a gamer I would never use vista for the simple reason that all the
extra rubbish is sure to slow it down more. Just now I was playing a
network game with people at uni- one of them has vista and it caused no
end of problems- they have network issues, slowdowns, intermittent
sound, you name it... (yet they still insisted that vista is "the
future" and hosted the games (they do have the highest spec PC, but
nevertheless...))

Some more M$ FUDD. I don't remember anything like this much advertising
for XP- do you think they are getting worried? Or desperate- they're
pushing it at every market they can, but there isn't actually any point
for any of them:

Games- nope (use XP)
Office work- nope (though I think office 2007 is much better than 2003-
but that runs on XP anyway)
Graphics- nope
Music- nope
Networking- nope
Security- hell no! (I'm sure XP is better still)

For all of the above (except notably games for obvious reasons- though
wine is making some serious headway- I've been able to run a selection
of games for a while, and the latest update gave me Corel Photopaint as
well), use Linux, a Mac or if you must have windows, XP.