Re: [LUG] Easy Squid?

Ruairi Fullam wrote:

> Essentially, Social Networking (MySpace) and Adult sites need to be
> blocked - I've seen a number of solutions but I'm not sure which to go
> for - does anyone have a recommendation?

I'm curious why you feel the need to block MySpace?

> Ideally I'd like to use Ubuntu - but upon trying the following tutorial,
> I have had no luck:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquidGuard

What went wrong?

I would suggest Squid is a very good proxy, and it is pretty easy to
devise ones own filters for specific needs. Indeed devising ones own
filters is a lot easier than installing and configuring SquidGuard, but
not as effective.

The hardest part is getting it into the right place that it intercepts
all the requests.

> Something with automatic updates and administrative override would be ideal.

SquidGuard recommends "chastity-list" in Debian -- but that is long dead
(circa 2002). You probably just need a suitably maintained blacklist...

Have a look at these;
http://squidguard.shalla.de/blacklists.html

Me I think most such filtering is pointless -- but hey I'm a woolly
minded liberal.