Re: [LUG] Data centres

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:03:00PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> What is a data centre.
>
> It's a place where internet carriers meet so that people can put
> their hardware all in one place without having to have a lot of
> costly individual links to get to the backbone.

I think I'd probably describe that as an exchange point rather than
a data centre (eg LINX, LONAP).  Though an exchange point would
probably be hosted in a datacentre.  I'd expect a datacentre to
provide power/AC/security and optionally connectivity, though some
require you to provide your own, or provide it via a default carrier
at an extra cost.  (People do sometimes require data centre facilities
without internet connectivity -- for DR/backup sites, for instance,
where a private point-to-point link may be adequate.)

James