Re: [LUG] Ubuntu & Vista

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:54:03 +0100
christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Now, the crunch question is, will there be any problems if I try and dual boot
> with Ubuntu?

Update: these pages look particularly useful:

http://ungeeking.net/2007/04/09/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu/
"create some space on your drive for your linux install. I used Vista's
Disk Manager (Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Create and
format hard disk partitions under the Administrative Tools area) to
partition my drive" "inserted the Ubuntu live CD and rebooted." "The
guides above both mentioned the need to edit the GRUB boot loader to
recognize Vista. For whatever reason, GRUB recognized my Vista install
and I didn't have to do anything. When I boot up I can boot
successfully into Vista or Ubuntu."

Sounds like the bootloader issue may have been cracked - so much for M$
obfuscation.

http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2007/03/how-to-dual-boot-windows-vista-and.html

Which also describes a fixed install that doesn't have any issue with
the Vista bootloader and that one lets Ubuntu do the partitioning.

--

Neil Williams