[LUG] kernel iptables and the rest

Hi,
Long story cut short I want to do protocol based routing. I.E. I have 2
gateways and want to select certain protocols for each one. To do this I am
going to use iptables and l7. The problem is the kernel module needed to
change the route with iptables requires a kernel module. After googling
netfilter.org for manage iptables produce a package called patch-o-matic-ng
which does the trick. After running this asking for ROUTE and enabling it in
my .config I tried to recompile. I get this error:

WARNING: "ipt_register_target" [net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ROUTE.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "ipt_unregister_target" [net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ROUTE.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Now I have retried with all the options asked for in patch-o... and I get
similar errors but just lots more all looking for ipt_(un)register_target. A
google and asking on the iptables IRC channel has come to nothing so I though
I would ask here.
I am trying this with a clean copy of gentoo-sources-2.6.21 and have tried but
got the same errors in 2.6.20r6. Has anyone managed to make this work, is
there blackmagic involved or can any kernel gurus point me in the right
direction?
Thanks in Advance!

--
Tom (the younger)