Re: [LUG] UML

Michael Mortimore wrote:
> There are performance differences too. I saw a thing saying that Xen
> was fastest, then vmware then UML. If I remember correctly (and things
> haven't changed in the couple of years since I was looking into this
> stuff), Xen was not far off native speeds, vmware as close behind and
> UML was about half native. I can't remember where QEmu ranked.

The XEN site gives benchmarks for some tests, but is sparse on details.

It suggests VMWARE and UML are comparable for I/O performance, although
I suspect a lot depends on the specific configuration tested.

For CPU intensive work (i.e. stuff that doesn't hit system calls), all
three are similar (and close to native Linux), as there is only the
overhead of a few context switches (or similar) involved. I think XEN
still has the edge most places.

Intel were doing some stuff with UML with creating virtual processors in
the processor, I don't know where this went - but it all gets horribly
confusing as to what is where, doing what when. Let's hope the
developers know!