Re: [LUG] Make Thunderbird use Firefox instead of Epiphany

On Sunday 29 April 2007 01:47, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 4/29/07, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I recently acquired a new computer. I've installed essentially the same
> > software and setup as my thinkpad, but for some reason thunderbird on
> > the new pc always opens urls with gnome browser instead of firefox, and
> > despite repeatedly looking I have been unable to find a setting to
> > change it.
>
> This is because Thunderbird follows the instructions of the desktop
> environment it was semi-written-for.
>
> Anyone know where this is?
>
> > I use KDE by the way, so it had better not be another one of these
> > settings that requires me to open a gnome control panel because the last
> > time I did that it modified all my font settings.
>
> It is. Use KMail if you care about this sort of thing.
> gnome-control-center contains an option on Preferred Applications, from
> where the option is a one-click thing.

Not a Thunderbird user myself, but I tested it out in my KDE environment and
clicked a URL - it opened the address in Konqueror. So there is some degree
of KDE integration there.
Despite Bens comments, it is possible to change the client used very easily -

Open Thunderbird, then go to Preferences. Under the Advanced tab in the
general section, click the Config Editor button - that brings up
the "about:config" window - the same sort of thing as in Firefox.
In the Filter box, type in network.protocol and it will bring up a list. At
the top will be -
network.protocol-handler.app.http  and network.protocol-handler.app.https
The value on mine was set to x-www-browser for both.
To set them for Firefox, highlight the http one and select Modify. In the
dialog box type in firefox (or the full path to it if you have FF in some odd
location. Likewise edit the https one the same way. Close Thunderbird.
When you re-open TB, clicking a mail URL will open Firefox. The only snag I
see is that the window focus remains with Thunderbird - i.e it opens the URL
in Firefox, but it is behind the TB window.

Mark