Re: [LUG] GNUcash - multiple users/multiple machines

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:11:21 +0100
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible to merge accounts on gnuchash - ie can I have one
> machine with the main gnucash accounts and then another with a
> similar setup so I can enter a lot of receipts on that one and then
> export them and import them into the main one?

No.

I wrote the book_merge code that would support precisely this
operation but it isn't enabled because ..., well just because. (the full
gory details have been covered elsewhere).

I started the cashutil project to cover this gap in functionality but
it is currently mired in problems. Help would be appreciated.

http://cashutil.sourceforge.net/

cashutil is a CLI that can understand GnuCash data files, it supports a
shell mode and merge functions as well as SQL-based queries to select
and export data for conversion into other formats and merge back into
GnuCash files.

The problems (http://cashutil.sourceforge.net/problems.php) are complex
and although some files will load, other files will not. I think those
problems are usually down to Scheduled Transactions but it could be an
issue buried deep in the larger gnucash data files.

Apart from load issues, the single biggest problem is that GnuCash
hides a LOT of the financial logic within the Gtk code which makes it
hard to re-implement. This means that cashutil can make changes to
GnuCash data files that are not financially consistent so BE CAREFUL!!
Only use the (unreleased) cashutil program on BACKUP gnucash files.

The UI in cashutil also needs improvement - it's not exactly intuitive
right now but it does try to be helpful.

Check out the SVN and see what you think.

The details of why and how cashutil could be used for what you want are
probably best discussed off-list - it has to do with how GnuCash deals
with data integrity.

--

Neil Williams