Re: [LUG] What are dig & +trace

Richard Brown wrote:

> As the subject says what do these do please?
> dig
> +trace
>
> And in what way should I use them? Is the plus sign important for the trace bit?

dig is a tool for DNS problem diagnosis.

The plus sign is just the symbol used for options passed to "dig".

"dig +trace" does the look-up in full, rather than sending a query to
the local name server, or sending a specific query to a specified name
server, the "+trace" does the whole look-up from the root servers
downwards. It is very useful for finding where a problem is occurring in
delegation.

If you have a specific DNS problem, ask on the list, as if no one else
answers, eventually I'll get to it.

 Simon