[LUG] RE.Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty was Ralink drivers and sky wireless netgear modem.

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mark Jose
Sent: 22 April 2007 19:50
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Ralink drivers and sky wireless netgear modem.

On Sunday 22 April 2007 20:25, Ray Smith wrote:

> noticed in a later post you were using kubuntu 7.04.
> My ubuntu disc is 6.10. Is 7.04 stable enough to use ?

> ?
>
> Ray

>Can't really comment as yet Ray - I only installed it a couple of days ago
>(although I had run the test versions).
>Initial issues were  -
>poor refresh rate setting and after installing the nvidia driver, it lashed
up
>the screen settings in xorg. Not world shattering issues, but annoying. On
the wireless front, I did try running the cd as >a live disc on my laptop
>(which runs 6.06) -  no joy with the wpa-psk :(  Perhaps if it was
installed
>it would work - it was possible to set wpa up, but no connection as yet
here.

Tried downloading 7.04 and booted up. First problem was I kept getting an
fd0 link error. I don't have a floppy drive and have it disabled in the bios
so that was an annoyance. Edgy didn't give this problem.

The rest of the boot took an age. Almost 10 minutes. I had unplugged my
cable modem in the hopes my netgear router connected to my wirelsess would
be detected and checking the networking tools my ssid did have the correct
name but only had the option to connect with wep not wpa.
As I have wpa configured on the router I figured I could change temporarily
or disable it to test but starting firefox and going to the configuration
page for the modem.
No joy. Firefox resolutely refused to start until everything locked up.
Am now going to try manually configure the settings using edgy again. The
most annoying thing is I can't find the blasted disk anywhere so am just
redownloading it through window$.

Am armed with lots of printouts for compiling drivers,setting up modules and
configuring scripts so fingers crossed.
Our own Robin Cornelius is involved with the  rt2400/rt2500 development
drivers.
Shame I need to set up  the rt61 ! Oh well.

Ray