[LUG] Installing packages with apt.

Having now installed ubuntu and updated it with several packages I was
wondering that as I have followed instructions on the ubuntu website to
pollute my system with several codecs using the command line and not
synaptic or aptitude what happens with the package lists when using any
method.
I see lots of interesting info from a terminal about what's being
downloaded,updated,removed for example.
Does all this info get updated automatically the next time I use a package
manager or do I have to reload or refresh anything ?

Is there a good reason also that if I start using synaptic to just use
synaptic ? Is there a problem with then later on using aptitude or will I
confuse the packages list in some way by using different programs.

Am finding aptitude quite nice actually but apt-get install is so quick
isn't it if you know exactly what you want ?

Aside from that does anyone else find it a pain to have to reboot because
their other half/members of family refuse to use Linux even AFTER you get it
playing DVD,all their music and show them the nice word processor they can
use.
"Oh no. put it in windows. I have to type a letter and send some emails to
my friend" (whiny voice)

"But you can do that with this, let me show you"................

One reboot later and I'm not allowed to boot Linux back up yet because she
hasn't finished with windows.

Luvverly. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't getting much closer in
converting my own family & it's been 10 years.

Ray