Re: [LUG] Upgrading Debian

Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

> I am not sure I followed this post correctly.  I updated by burning a new CD.
> (And had some minor problems as I was a bit rash as it was only my back up
> machine and I had backed IT up). But I think I am being told I just had to
> alter my repositories and let the machine take the strain?

Yes, generally the Debian upgrade route, is make sure you point to the
repositories, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade (or equivalent in
Aptitude), and answer a few queries about what is new/changed.

One could do it from CD, but sounds like you did a reinstall rather than
an upgrade.

If one isn't careful one ends up with a system that is a long way from
the original installation media. Which is fine if you are confident you
can reinstall it with a later CD. I'm sure I could reinstall my home
desktop from CD if I needed to, but it might be rather interesting as
recent kernels don't support my hardware correctly.