Re: [LUG] OpenSuse 10.2

Ray Smith wrote:
> [...]
if you're happy with a kde desktop and you want a distro that'll
probably detect all your hardware, wireless cards etc, out-of-the-box
can I suggest PClinuxOS. It's built from Mandriva, which has an
exceptional suite of configuration tools, but has replaced the Mandriva
package installation software, rpm based, with apt-get/synaptic - the
best of both worlds.

pclos is really good at hardware detection. I've tried a few different
distros, knoppix and mepis are good on the hardware, but knoppix really
is a rescue tool with 15 different apps for accomplishing any task you
can think of while I just don't like the "look 'n' feel" of mepis.

pclos looks good with some customised graphics, (this is something I
care about, even if REAL geeks spit on eye-candy), comes with what are
for me pretty much all the apps I want and is the easiest to
configure/use/update distro I've come across.

I've been using it for around a year and have switched everything over
to it since mandriva 2007 turned out to be not so good. It's really
gained in popularity over the last few months according to distrowatch etc.

I'm not trying to start distro wars here and I'm certainly not dissing
anyones fave. Just that as someone's looking for a distro to install I
felt I should bring this one to their attention as it is, IMHO, such an
excellent product and one that might otherwise be overlooked.

www.openaddict.com/review_of_pclinuxos_2007_beta2.html
www.pclinuxos.com
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/12/pclinuxos-distribution-tailor-made-for.html

OK, tub-thumping over. Sorry (well vaguely apologetic)

Simon