Re: [LUG] Helping with FOSS projects

tom@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I realise that the main problem is where to start. You can read lots of
> articles that tell you to start filing bug reports on projects that you
> use/like but there is no real set up.

What do you mean "no real set-up" ?

All major distros have bug reporting procedures, and most have ways to
accept other contributions in both formal and informal manners.

Most distro's are very grateful for well done bug reports, especially on
distro specific issues. it is easy to assume that someone else will have
done it, but even with the bigger distro's if the bug turns out to be
hardware, locale or desktop manager specific, one can quickly end up
being one of only a few people using that particular combination of
software and settings.

I'm reminded of the recent Debian bug on OO (2.2), that said (I
paraphase) "it is something to do with the name of my printer in CUPS".

> What I would like to try and do is to produce a section on the lug wiki about
> getting involved but I have (again) no idea what needs to be put down. To
> that end (+ getting myself involved in them) do people want to start
> submitting posts on how they started or on what they would like to be there
> to support them etc..

One could point at things like how to become a Debian developer, how to
report Debian bugs etc, but these are really down to the distro's to
describe themselves.

The key is always to use the software first, so you actually have issues
you want to address.

> Another idea that I had that I suggested at what i think was the last meet was
> that; we as a lug could 'adopt' a project (I suggested ppracer) and then
> assist and guide people into getting onto the FOSS ladder

We were discussing OLPC after the meeting. But I think Tom the elder
wants to go with using free software for arts related work, which is
perhaps the wiser move, i.e. first get people using free software.