Re: [LUG] Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released

On Sunday 08 April 2007 21:11, Robin Menneer wrote:
> On 4/8/07, Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 April 2007 18:55, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > I wouldn't worry about OOo in Ubuntu, you've probably got the same
> > > version as Debian 4.0 anyway. Check with:
> > > $ dpkg -l openoffice.org-writer

Robin,
The command which Neil gave -

dpkg -l openoffice.org-writer

should, when entered into a command line, give you an output which lists the
installed package and the version - in this case the version of
openoffice.org.
It would work in any Debian based system, including Ubuntu.

> I've looked at the OOo startup manual at that address and the contents
> page does not mention Ubuntu.   It seems that one has to know the
> lingo to understand it.

Not sure what manual you are referring to here. I wonder if you are thinking
that openoffice.org is a website? Yes, it is, but it is also the name of the
program - confusing I know, but it really is called openoffice.org (or OOo),
although it tends to be referred to as OpenOffice. From memory, this was due
to some conflict with the name Open Office being used by another,
unconnected, office suite.

Mark