[LUG] Trouble with Knoppix

There must be a way of doing this. I have a Compaq Armada laptop with
a faulty hard disk. It's only a PII but I have a use for it and I have
been trying to fix it. I installed Debian etch and apart from a little
difficulty with installing some of the software it went ok but when I
try to do something the HD whirrs and nothing happens. So I reckon the
HD has a bad patch. I installed my trusty DOS 6.2 and ran scandisk and
this said the disk was fine (it was wrong). I thought I'd try e2fsck
but this requires that the disk not be mounted so I needed a separate OS
to run it. I got Timo's rescue CD and installed that. e2fsck wouldn't
run but badblocks did and found serious faults starting at about block
2500000. Well 2GB is adequate for a small system like Damn Samll Linux
so I made myself a DSL live CD and ran that. Fine, and I was able to
run cfdisk to create a 2GB partition but (did I mention that I have just
replaced the RTC battery?) the date is Jan 1980 and the date command in
DSL won't work. Really; if I type sudo date -s "string" with any date at
all, even just "2007" I get the reply 'date invalid'. Is there a
Knoppix guru out there who can advise me what I do now? DSL is Debian
isn't it so the date command should be ok. I've come such a long way
I can't give up.

Any ideas gratefully received -- if none there is a laptop going free
for spares :-)

Tony Sumner