Re: [LUG] Making sure your memories are safe

> can we really know that ogg vorbis, or any other codec free or not, will
> be around in 50 years time? And if it is will be compatable with an
> ancient version? If Your great grandson comes accross a box of CDs in
> the attic will there be hardware he can look at the stuff on, software
> he can read them with?
Ogg vorbis is open so its formats/documentation etc are available and you can
store them with your archives so at least there is a chance for someone to
read the data later.
With a proprietary format I cant see how you can do that as you don't know the
format.
CD's - again theres an open standard as to how to read them, if you store the
data on them using open standards ditto.
One of the main aims of proprietary standards is to expire data where possible
so you can re-sell it.
Tom te tom te tom