Re: [LUG] Making sure your memories are safe

> A bit of lobbying may be in order, if you're interested. So much for
> the 'BBC's flagship technology programme'.

Well I've sent an e-mail but perhaps I might try to organise a more
concerted efffort to really get there attention. Will probably turn
out to be one of those things that one says they'll do and never
actually gets done, but hey good intentions are at least a starting
place!

> The people behind the programme certainly seem aware of Linux, it seems
> to me that they simply don't consider Linux users as their target
> audience for C-O. Until that changes, I'll continue to ignore C-O.

I agree with you entirely here - I stopped watching it a long time ago
but occassionaly pieces crop up in my feed reader that look like they
might be interesting...

> > It's about compression and codecs. At the end they suggest saving your
> > videos in multiple formats to ensure they'll remain playable in the
> > future. Am I missing something here or is future proofing not
> > something that OGG aims to do by providing a freely implementable and
> > open standard?

> Free software will always be available to you - all you'll need is a
> CPU that can run a free compiler like gcc.
>
> With your data in free data formats, you will always be able to access
> your data. Sometimes that may involve updating an old plugin or
> refreshing some old source code but once free, always free. (Which is
> NOT true for all open source - the 'always free' bit comes from the
> very clauses of the GPL that some open-source advocates would rather
> did not exist and which MS termed 'viral' and 'cancerous'.)

This is exactly what I thought I just wanted someone to confirm it for
me :D It makes me quite angry that simply because they don't consider
GNU/Linux users their target audience they feel the need to leave out
important information that could help people even if they're not using
GNU/Linux - like the use of OGG etc. Grrr! Once I've got the Free Me
project finished maybe this will be my next target.

Cheers,

Jon