Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Dell gives the go ahead for Linux]

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Good news I think :)

> Dells propoganda use to support linux servers then this vanished one
> day, hope this is a bit more long term.

As it happens, I've just been installing a PowerEdge 1950 to take to
Serverhouse to install in a client's rack next week.  (Gah!  Fareham!
Still, it's better than having to go to Telehouse or Harbour Exhange.)

The bootable "installation and server management" CD that comes with it
actually boots Linux to run the setup application and offers support for
both RHEL (versions 3 and 4, afair) and SUSE.  The remote management
tools are also available as RPMS for RHEL and SUSE.  Win2k is an option
as well, but it was interesting to see that their setup system is
actually running on top of Linux no matter which OS you choose to run.

James