Re: [LUG] Linux-friendly web cams

On Thursday 15 March 2007 21:11, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> I'm sure you'll all be excited to know that my Logitech Quickcam
> Express II has arrived. I plugged it in, fired up kopete and it all
> works. No config required. Hup hup! Huzzah!
>
> On 3/6/07, Michael Mortimore <nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It looks like logitech are the winner here, and after looking at the
> > prices (£6!) I'm happy.
> >
> > Thanks.

Argh! Apologies for the blank mail!
It should have said -

Further to the webcam discussion, my two Logitech cams as mentioned by Mike
have arrived!

For the technical -

vid/pid info  - ID 046d:0928 Logitech, Inc. Quickcam Express
and it uses the spca5xx module, which was automatically loaded by my Kubuntu
6.06 laptop.
It worked straight away - displaying the image happily in Camorama without any
tweaking needed.

Quality wise, the picture is OK - not superb, but the cam only costs 6 quid.

When I get chance, I will see how easily it converts to IR. A number of
Logitech models are fairly straightforward to modify, this one seems to
appear in the list of cams which others have experimented with already over
on my brother in laws webpage -
http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/
(the relevant cam is near the bottom of the working cams list)

Mark