Re: [LUG] Invoicing software

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:14:49 +0000
Darren Foster <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of any invoicing software for linux.
> Currently using Microsoft Money 2006 on my laptop but i would love to
> find an alternative for my Fedora Core 6 linux box. Have tried GnuCash
> but really dont get on with it that well. So any other alternatives
> welcome.

It depends how much you want to do yourself and where your raw data
resides. I'm working on a set of tools that will support various
financial operations, including invoices. Currently, the emphasis is on
obtaining invoice data from a PDA or Palm (because that is how my
business operates) but the XSL and Perl support can be tweaked to work
in the opposite direction, to take data from small utilities like
gpe-expenses or calcurse and supply a few defaults to obtain a dataset
suitable for an invoice. (Note: this is not my only - or even main -
project right now so things happen slowly.)

Invoices are not simple to handle in a generic manner - different
businesses have very different needs when creating an invoice. If you
want to work this way (rather than use some GUI that doesn't do it
quite the way you want), you can send me a sample invoice layout and
descriptions of where your basic / raw data currently resides
(applications, platforms etc.) and we can see how the land lies. Note
that it will require some scripting at your end, at least initially.

For anyone else interested, the pilot-qof source includes three new
sections, datafreedom-qsxsl, datafreedom-perl and datafreedom-doc. I'm
still waiting for these packages to migrate out of the NEW queue in
Debian but last time I checked, there were no problems building
pilot-qof on FC5. You don't need pilot-qof to use the new scripts, you
just need a way of converting existing data sources into compatible
datasets, either using XSL or Perl. Examples are contained in the
source.
http://pilot-qof.sourceforge.net/manual/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pilot-qof/

--