Re: [LUG] Moved fc6 hard drive to new system

On Friday 16 March 2007 14:58, Darren Foster wrote:

> Have a small problem in that I moved my old hard drive with Fedora Core 6
> on to my brand new Dell Optiplex 745. Hard drive is a IDE 250 gig. But the
> machine is all SATA with no IDE option.  So I purchased a rosewell IDE to
> SATA Bridge adapter. This allows the hard drive to work fine. Only problem
> is that I cant seem to get fedora core to work.

It doesn't seem to have support for your SATA controller. Most likely there is
kernel support for it, but the driver isn't in your initrd (which is sane,
since your old system didn't need it). This being the case, you need to boot
your FC6 install CD in rescue mode, tell it to mount your installed system
and give you a console, then manually re-create the initrd.

It's also possible that there is no support for your SATA controller in FC6
(in which case you may need to re-install with a newer distro), or possibly
no support in Linux at all (unlikely, I think).

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson