Re: [LUG] Dell Running Linux Survey

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:04:59 -0400
Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:04:15PM +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
>
> > This is because Debian want people to be able to use what they
> > want. Are you suggesting that allowing people to use non-free
> > software with any degree of facilitation is a bad thing?

Non-free is supported by Debian but the emphasis is always on free
software drivers where available - the issue is that a default Debian
install should not require non-free blobs for certain hardware.

The problems are non-trivial. I still find it troubling that hardware
is sold with critical (chipset-specific) elements missing. The firmware
has to be loaded into the unit every time the machine boots (or even
comes out of suspend). It makes it difficult to create generic free
software that could drive more than a couple of otherwise similar
devices leading to a proliferation of drivers with incumbent problems of
testing and identifying which driver for which chipset.

> I'm suggesting groups who promote free software shouldn't be
> distributing non-free software.

There's no harm, IMHO, supporting those who need non-free - the issue
is that a default install should not require non-free.

In most cases, this firmware isn't actually IN non-free - the loader
software is released under the GPL but is in contrib. The loader is
generic  - what the loader loads into the unit is usually not generic.

> It's not about allowing people to do
> things, it's about what a project should and should not do if it wants
> to be seen as credible.
>
> Debian does great work, but they let themselves down. As I understand
> it, the binary blobs issue is being worked one.

It is being worked on, yes.

--

Neil Williams