Re: [LUG] Dell Running Linux Survey

Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 3/15/07, *Matt Lee* <mattl@xxxxxxx <mailto:mattl@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:04:19AM +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
>
>     > I was and am in favour of shipping vital non-free drivers, but
>     unlike nearly
>     > every other distro Debian does not ship unnecessary non-free
>     software. When
>     > Ubuntu started doing that, I jumped ship.
>
>     I believe Ubuntu always did that.
>

> <rant length="verbose" type="essay" style="neil-williams">

:-)

> Certain e.g. networking drivers are vital for a system's operation and
> should be shipped though easily removable. Other things, such as Adobe
> Flash Player, nvidia-glx, etc are not vital and the user should have to
> make their own affirmative decision to use them. Both should be
> distributed within APT repositories, for the sake not only of user
> choice and facilitation but of of trying to at least wrap the blobs up
> in debian-shaped packing so they behave as nicely as can be expected.

Yup, I agree... after all, it's about choices... if you choose to
install binary blobs, so be it.. but you don't have to..

> Obviously, gNewSense would be a very good applicant for use on Dell
> hardware (Ubuntu-inherited nastiness aside) if it can provide 100%
> hardware support for Dells. I am not confident that it is capable of
> this, but Debian is certainly capable of running all the hardware
> connected to my system out-of-box (notably unlike Windows, requiring two
> hours and eight driver discs.) This is why I prefer Debian in general,
> and is why I favoured Debian in the Dell survey.

TBH, Dells driver CD's for windows are actually quite good.. you insert
the CD, it detects your hardware and gives you a list of drivers to
install based upon it's detection.

Still, 1 hour and 2 CD's (XP and Dells drivers)

> Actually, though, I don't want anything preinstalled on my computers.
> Given Dell's track record of bundling useless rubbish on their Windows
> machines, I would not trust them not to fiddle with a Debian install.

I hear that..

> The trick, then, is to get Dell to use hardware supported well by, say,
> kernel 2.6.15 and above. This is likely the real issue for sysadmins:
> confidence in their hardware's ability to be run by their choice of OS
> without inane tweakage.

To be fair, I have successfully run a few distros on a number of Dell
machines without major issues... but yes, I would have far more
confidence in the whole thing if i just knew that the hardware would
play nice with the software out of the box.