Re: [LUG] Debian Etch apt-get update problem

Neil Stone wrote:

> So you set the time, and now the problem has gone away ??
>
> I would say, use some form of network time sync...

Ah, but he can't install that until "apt" signatures are working.

The signature thing is proving a tad troublesome in Etch.

Digital signatures are by there nature brittle, there is no "almost
matches", so everything has to be spot on, including the system clock
mustn't be set outside the date of validity of the keys that are used to
sign stuff.

They also recently switched keys around, breaking all the old
installers. But hey it isn't released, and getting this right is a key
feature of Etch.

Still it would be handy to have a list of errors and solutions, so folks
know where to turn, as it suddenly requires knowledge of GPG and APT,
both of which are in too short a supply.

Ultimately you can switch off the check, and hope that someone else
reports issues if they find the repositories have been compromised - but
that is kind of last ditch ;)