Re: [LUG] FW: What would you use for this?

sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The IP range 169.254. has DHCP setup and binds ip to mac address. This had
> been in place when i took the network role, I beleive it came about as MS
> default IP range.

It is the zeroconf network range, which both Apple and Microsoft
implemented, and is available for GNU/Linux if people want to use
zeroconf. I believe the RFCs supporting it have lapsed, but it is well
supported despite being defunct.

I'd be VERY VERY wary of running a network in that range (unless it was
an adhoc network).

1) Machines may allocate themselves a number in that range, and when
connected cause servers to be inaccessible, unlikely but possible.

2) Some devices behave differently, or will not route whilst in that range.

It also suggests your predecessors didn't have a clue on how to build a
network.