Re: [LUG] another waste of time for computers

On Friday 09 March 2007 08:58, Tom Potts wrote:
> First we have MS office wasting PC time now this:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6430000/newsid_6
>432800?redirect=6432893.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1
>
> Now if they knew how to make it taste nice so you don't have to freeze it
> then you wouldn't need all that rubbish.
> Poor computers - slaves to idiots!
> Tom te tom te tom

Ah - the good old Beeb Media Selector!
As a regular listener to the local BBC station, I had some correspondence with
the Beeb about their "choices" as far as media players are concerned some
time ago.
They claimed that they offered the Windows Media but also offered Real Player
format for those non-Windows users (or indeed people with Windows who
preferred not to use that player). They claimed - quite correctly - that Real
Player is available for Linux. Surprisingly, they even pointed out the Helix
player as a possible alternative, being based on Real.
I explained that I have an aversion to Real Networks stuff, based on
experiences in the mid to late 90's, but they had no intentions to introduce
other players.
Although I am sure the Beeb don't care less, they lost a regular listener over
that.
Another site which offers the same "choices" is the NASA website. We love to
watch the shuttle missions in real time here, but have to use the Windows
laptop which the wife uses for some of her OU stuff.

Mark