Re: [LUG] Debian Multimedia

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:47:56 +0000
Henry Bremridge wrote:

> Tried installing mplayer but found that I could not listen to various
> real audio files.
>
> I had two reasons to move to mplayer
> -   its a debian package (at least in Etch)
> -   I would be able to listen to some wmv files
>
> so in googling for quick and simple solutions (ie lazy) I came across
> www.debian-multimedia.org which have their own packages for setting up
> multimedia applications.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this site (ie what is different to the
> main deb packages)? Alternatively has anyone used mplayer to play
> windows audio files and have they had any problems / recommendations?

I've been using Debian Multimedia for a while, and I've not noticed any
problems.  I don't know whether the "LiveMedia" things have moved to
the normal Debian repositories or not, but my main reason for going
with DM (or "marilliat" as it was then) was to get the packages that
allow MPlayer to play RTSP streams nicely (used to be called Live.com,
now called LiveMedia).

--Grant