Re: [LUG] how to install

On 3/2/07, alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxx <alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Posted by "Alex Mclennan" <alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> hi,i am a complete newbie to linux and have just installed ubuntu,and having been
> brainwashed by them who shall remain nameless i cant seem to install the latest
> version of firefox.
> this is the first thing i have downloaded.
> alex
> --

I would definatly consider using the build in package repositories
that come with a distro.

Ubuntu based on debian uses a apt based system and certainly for
debain there are *thousands* of precompiled packages that are all
nicely tuned to *just install*.

Not sure of the graphical front end tools but if you open a console
window and do

"apt-cache search firefox" and see what it shows you

then you can install the approprate version (change to root first, su
command) with:-

"apt-get install firefox" for example (depending on the names returned
from the first command)

might also want somthing like

"apt-get install firefox-locale-en-gb" to have english (british) lanuages etc.

I would always try to use the built in package system where possible
especialy on a Debian derritive as they tend to *just work* and put
everything where it should be with minimal fuss.

Don't forget there is graphical front ends to this, try poking around
on your menu for package managment etc.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk