Re: [LUG] How to find out what is using a kernel module?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:22:22 +0000
Simon Williams <systemparadox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there some program which will tell me what is using a given kernel
> module? Something a bit like lsof or fuser I guess, but with kernel
> modules instead of files.

lsmod

That shows you which other modules will be using that module which is
generally more useful than it sounds because it helps work out what the
zd124rw module does when it's not obvious from the name.

dmesg can also give you clues, but there is no definitive way of
knowing which applications use which modules, except trying to run the
app without the module in place. e.g. No end of applications rely on a
network module of some kind but that won't be listed as a dependency of
the package. rmmod is a fairly destructive way of working out which
programs need a specific module. :-)

Modules themselves do keep track of a user count (/proc/modules) which
must be 0 before the module can be removed.

It depends what kind of module you want to track really: a device
driver, a filesystem driver, a system call, a network driver, an
emulator . . .

--

Neil Williams