[LUG] #dclug? Don't bother.

Sorry to whine, but...

I joined the official irc channel a week or so ago, idled for a while -
explained that my usual Nick on irc was Flash_ and that I'd be using a
different one there - savery - as Flash was already taken.

Fine, no worries. Idled and chatted a bit.

Power cut yesterday, I return from work to find:

Feb 25 18:42:25 --- You have been killed by Flash ((thats me))
Feb 25 18:42:25 --- Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
**** ENDING LOGGING AT Sun Feb 25 18:42:25 2007

Turns out Xchat had reconnected with my default nick - the same one I
use on four other networks - Flash_, and the host of the ircd had not
only kicked and banned me from the channel, but killed me off the server
too. I hadn't said anything, done anything - I just happened to be using
that nick. No PM, no email, no contact. Bam, whammo, good night.

Now - I understand being protective of your nick, but this feels very
unwelcoming and against the spirit of a lug. I'm no newbie to irc and I
use it a lot, never have I been killed without explanation for using an
unprotected nick. To do so after I'd already explained the situation is
extremely harsh.

So anyone thinking of looking to irc for help and support within the
dclug, I'd urge them not to. I'd even suggest moving the official dclug
irc channel to Freenode, OFTC or another host not under control of
somebody with such an obviously short fuse.