Re: [LUG] KDE or GNOME

KDE. Some of the points about startup time and installing themes were
valid in previous versions, but on my system KDE is blazingly fast (5
second startup, and I only ever suspend anyway), and looks awesome.

The default theme has some effects which probably look great on bigger
monitors, but on my 1024x768 it just took up valuable space. A quick
change of style and everything was fine. Though until very recently I
did have a gripe that there was no way of making the borders around the
windows smaller than "normal", which was a crazy 5 pixels!
However, having installed the simply AMAZING crystal theme my system now
looks superb and wastes very little space with borders and the like. It
looks better than any effects vista has (actually, I've got vista-style
buttons, but mine look better), and probably uses a 10th of the amount
of cpu cycles. Actually, Vista won't even run on my system due to the
insane graphics requirements.

I've tried switching to gnome numerous times, but I could never make
myself like it. I found the config system confusing, icons on the
desktop have an appallingly huge default size (not that I actually ever
use them), generally gnomes interface wastes lots of space with big
buttons and other things, gnome *never* has all the apps in it's menu
(KDE does) and I don't know of any dual battery monitor applets for
gnome- something which is essential for me.

The ironic thing is that I was using ratpoison for ages, and would be
using something like ion, but never got round to learning how to set it
up properly.

I've just remembered- the one thing that absolutely drives me nuts about
GTK (especially firefox- one of the only gtk apps I use) is the file
browser for saving downloads, etc. It is so clumsy and slow to use.

Konqueror is absolutely AMAZING as a file manager.

Probably a large amount of this is because I already have KDE setup and
know all the shortcut keys, etc. I can see how someone who normally uses
gnome might experience similar frustrations moving to KDE that I did
when trying Gnome.