Re: [LUG] KDE or GNOME

> GNOME. It's much faster (on startup, at least),

I find KDE to be quicker across the entire desktop and about equal on
startup. The first time I ran KDE it was slower but after that it was
about the same: you do have to make sure that you close applications
down before you log out though because otherwise they're loaded at
start-up which can make things a bit slower - I guess there's a
setting somewhere for this which you can change.

>has a more pleasing look and

That's totally subjective - you could probably make KDE look like
Gnome and Gnome look like KDE.

> is easier to program for. It also makes more regular incremental releases
> rather than rehashing the entire system every couple of years;

KDE makes frequent incremental releases as well. The 3 series has been
around for sometime now but within that you see moves to point
releases such as the current 3.5.x . The changes in these releases are
pretty similar in scope to those that occur in a Gnome 2.16 -> 2.18
upgrade, at least from what I know.

The reason there's a big upgrade going on now, i.e. KDE 4 is because
the toolset it's based upon has been upgraded to QT4 - Gnome did the
same thing when GTK moved to version 2 and I suspect if GTK moves to
version 3 so will Gnome.

> and the
> human-interface guideline is much more sensible (I think KDE might not even
> have one, which would explain a lot.)

Linus Torvalds would disagree with you :-D...personally I like the
Gnome way of doing things more but many people feel that it limits the
user and makes it harder to use some "advanced" features.

Jon