Re: [LUG] Deleting files in Mac os X

On 2/23/07, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Brown wrote:

> Bit of a long shot here but I can't delete some files in Mac OS X. I
> get the error message:
> The operation cannot be completed because the item "images" is in use.
>
> But it isn't in use! Any ideas please?

Logout and back in again!?

"rm" is your friend.

> I know get Linux!

Or ask in a MacOS X forum.

Real multiuser OSes let you delete files that are open by others, MacOS
seems intent on reinventing this Windowism with ever more complex Trash
cans.

Mac is ordinarily very cooperative in its tidiness but this annoying message sometimes comes up when one is closing down.  Somewhere there is a file or two open and mac is not cooperating in its usually friendly way by asking if you want to close them. Obuntu does a similar thing with tabs.  Forcing closure globally is not always entirely friendly.