Re: [LUG] back up adn running

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:44:49 +0000
"Mike Martin" <redtux1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/02/07, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok
> >
> > I seem to be back up and running, not got nvidia suppot back yet,
> > but don't really need it and I can't afford to be - a gui for days
> > again, thanks for all the help
> >
> > I think at somepoint I will re-insall,  but if I do it will be at a
> > meeting,  having backed up all data,  and then kind of down /
> > upgrade to etch, from sid,   I still don't have enough knowledge to
> > fix things properly
> >
> > I tried typing man dpkg to get a list of what options are available
> > to reconfigure stuff,  but could not find anything,  i know if I
> > type dpkg--reconfigure xserver-xorg,  I can do that,  but it has to
> > be typed in a certain way,  and not that helpful if it is not.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> >
> > DCLUG Meeting date Thursday 11th January 2007 - PRFC from 7:00
> >
> > http://www.zleap.net
> > http://www.openoffice.org
> > http://www.linux.org

> > --
> >

> If it helps it looks like nvidia dropped support for your card after
> release 9631.
>
> On fedora there are 96xx packages - I'd imagine debian has equivalents

I got Compiz running on Debian Testing as follows:

Make sure X runs nicely.
Installed the nVidia drivers (since I have an nVidia card) from
nVidia.  (Note that you may well have a problem building the module
with the current version of GCC, so I just relinked gcc to the correct
version... nVidia's error message on building the module should tell
you which version you need to use.)
Ensure that "GLCore" is not loaded, but "glx" is (in your xorg.conf
file).
I had to put a couple of extra tweaks into my xorg.conf file in/near
the "Device" section:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nVidia"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "enable"
EndSection

And in the "Screen" section, I had to add the following two "Options":

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "nVidia"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
    Option         "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"
.
.
.

Now, apparently if you're using a GTK based Window Manager, you can
simply fire up your Window Manager (or GDM/KDM/WhateverDM and login)
and then run "compiz --replace" to get it running.  If you're running
KDE (like I do) then you'll need to make a new 'script' and call it
something like /sbin/compiz.start (and make it executable), then
edit /etc/environment and add the following line:
KDEWM=/sbin/compiz.start

Then reload your X session and have fun.

--Grant.