Re: [LUG] MS shares fall / I tunes

Paul Sutton wrote:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/02/16/bcnvista16.xml
>
> Looking at this, there are issues between Vista and Itunes,  which
> raises the question what is the interoperability between Linux and
> Itunes, if its good then we as a community could take advantage.

Somehow I doubt the lack of ITunes is what worries market analysts. It
is just a symptom of a bigger problem, which is the industry doesn't
care about Vista.

I suspect they looked at Vista like I did, there is no obvious reason to
buy Vista, they'll get it with their next PC, curse Microsoft for yet
again moving all the controls around to new places (presumably to make
it look more different) and switched the icons for different ones (to
floor your visual cues), and if they got enough graphics oomph in the
hardware go "isn't it pretty" (once they work out how to drive it).

For all Vista's much vaunted security features, as Microsoft well know,
security doesn't sell OSes (otherwise Apple MacOSX would be doing
better, and VMS would still be around).

As such, the PC industry hoped Vista would drive hardware sales, and for
most users there is no "must have" upgrade reason. It isn't even obvious
that it will be more secure in practise, the first home user I saw with
Vista was running as a user with Administrative privileges.

Okay every action popped up a box that said;

 This might be insecure.

   or

 This might not be compatible with Windows Vista

  or

 This isn't compatible with Windows Vista, contact the vendor

  or

 You aren't running with Administrative privileges
 (clearly someone didn't check for such privileges the Microsoft way).

Throw in some DRM FUD, and Microsoft have a hard sell on their hands.

Apple didn't bother to sort ITunes for Vista. My employers didn't check
our main application. Everyone has gone into a "we'll fix it when users
complain" approach to Vista, because it hasn't generated any buzz.

Microsoft marketing department might turn it around.

Microsoft are certainly pushing it hard with the usual round of dropping
support everywhere to push people into the purchase.

But basically I just don't think there is much demand. Which is bad for
GNU/Linux, as it means people aren't interested in change at all.