Re: [LUG] Respoinse to my cry for help

Peter M Le Mare wrote:
> The new monitor is a 19" TFT Widescreen: Printers HP laser 1018
> and Brother DC 315cn (Composite - scanner, copier, printer, with card
> reader). I have not been able to get the new Brother for my colour
> photo's to work - it just wont install properly and I have had long and
> expensive phone calls to Brother with no success: I don't know whether
> this printer will work with Linux as there doesn't seem to be a Linux
> driver with it.

HP are pretty good with Linux. Laser printers are especially easy to get
going in my experience.

I have Brother DCP-340CW (essentially the same). Printing and scanner
via network connection both work well- once you sort out Brother's mess
of drivers. I spent several days wondering why it wouldn't print- only
to find that they wanted a flipping csh. For some stupid reason they
have scripts to generate the files. The sensible thing would have been
to say: put these 3 files here, here and here, and add this line to some
config file. The could even have submitted the drivers for inclusion
with SANE and CUPS, and the drivers wouldn't clash either. You'd
probably be better off manually unpacking the files and reading the
scripts and generating the files manually.

Contact me if you need help with this. That may well motivate me to sort
out the mess properly.

> My Broadband modem is a Sagem F@st 800 E3.

Go and buy an ethernet modem or a router right now. It isn't worth it-
trust me.

Hope this helps
Simon