[LUG] Sub Notebook without CD / DVD Drive

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did eventually find a site that
provides quite a lot of help in how to do install various linux distros
to a usb drive. I figure that if I can get the machine to boot Ubuntu or
Knoppix from a pen drive, I then should be able to install to the hard
drive (Like I did with Puppy).

However, when I went back to try it out, I found that I have managed to
mess up the pen drive - it won't mount now in either Linux or Windows. I
also tried GParted and QTParted but, neither can see it.

Therefore I have ordered some new pen drives from Amazon and will have
another go when they arrive. Luckily, they are very cheap these days.

This is the site I found in case anyone else wants to do this :

http://pendrivelinux.com/

Thanks for the offer of the loan of your usb cd drive Rob. I may still
take you up on that, if all else fails.