[LUG] Sub Notebook without CD / DVD Drive

Thank for your suggestions. re installing from USB, I thought that this
would work too. I unpacked all the files from the kubuntu 6.10 iso file
and copied them to my pen drive. But, trying to boot from it just
resulted in the message "no boot".

To install Puppy, I had to run the live cd from another machine and use
the universal installer to install Puppy to the pen drive. Then, I was
able to boot the sub laptop from the pen drive and use the universal
installer again to install to the hard drive.

However, I don't think that all distros have this sort of functionality.

I guess that I really need something like this but, it would mean
installing Windows first, to use it :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

Has anyone tried it ?

Or, ideally, does anyone know of a Linux Universal Installer similar to
the Puppy one that works on Ubuntu ?