[LUG] Computer Fair in Barnstaple

Being a budding entrepreneur. I  was looking for computer fairs in
North Devon and I see that there are v.few if none. I was thinking of
organising one at the North Devon Leisure Centre in Barnstaple. This
may be a bad idea and may never happen, but I was wondering if anybody
has any idea if it would be successful. Perhaps something we can
discuss at our meeting at Weatherspoons?!

I've never organised anything like this before, but I would really
like to try it. It doesnt seem to be *too* hard. Arrange article in
newspaper (free publicity), book hall in leisure centre (hopefully
with tables and chairs included), put up signs day before (laminated
cardboard and cable ties home printed).

I would of course have to get confirmed bookings from traders for the
first one. This would be the most difficult aspect I feel. However
once the first one is successful, I could convince some traders to
perhaps pay in advance for a second stall, get regular traders etc.

I could charge a nominal £1 entry fee for buyers with "return" ticket
if they wanted to come back in. Pricing would depend on how much they
charge for the hire of the hall (which I can check on Monday).

Also, I would more than likely need someone to help me with taking
ticket and stand money, tidying up, setting up etc. I guess I could do
it myself, but I might drag a friend along. I am also not sure of the
legal problems should a trader decide to sell illegal CDs and trading
standards turn up. I guess making all traders sign a document saying
they agree not to sell such things may cover me.

George