Re: [LUG] OT: Mac verses PC

shift + ctrl + T will create a new tab, or you could just go to file -> open tab in gnome-terminal

On 01/02/07, Rob Beard < rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robin Menneer wrote:
> Your experience has been similar to mine except I also use a mac
> mini.  I don't enjoy changing systems and must want the best simplest
> that will do the text, photographs and drawings that I have to conjure
> up in my efforts to conserve the ancient craft of Cornish hedging (we
> use stone in a variety of patterns).  Which system should I use,
> please (I can just about seeing me using Gimp, and I can cope with
> Open Office) ?  Automatic updates (painless and free) essential.
> Sancreed is not too distant from Germoe.
You might find Ubuntu suits your needs.  The interface is clean and easy
to use and in a way is a little bit MacOS 9 like (drop down menus from
the top of the screen to launch apps).  With a default install of Ubuntu
you should find it has OpenOffice.org for your office work, The Gimp for
photo editing, Evolution for e-mail (although I prefer Thunderbird) and
Firefox for web browsing.

Adding applications is also dead easy, just use the Add/Remove programs
option at the bottom of the Applications menu for a smaller list of
applications or if you want to try more, just use the Synaptic package
manager.

You might want to give the Ubuntu Live CD a try.  If you don't get on
with it you can always try the KDE based Kubuntu Live CD or the Mandriva
Live CDs.

Before I get flames about which is better - Gnome or KDE, I must add -
my desktop runs Ubuntu but the PC I am typing this on is my other halfs
PC which is running Kubuntu.  I like both, I find some things in KDE
easier and prefer other things in Ubuntu.  While I think about it, is it
possible to get the tabbed terminal windows under Gnome like you can
with Konsole on KDE?

Rob