[LUG] Server, php, etc.

Hi

Hopefully this is one you guys might know the answer to!

What does open_basedir do please? In order to allow a programme to
create directories I am meant to set it to off. When I did this though
it broke Wordpress which was running as root. I am trying to install
civicrm (civicrm.org) as part of Drupal. Drupal installs no problems
but civicrm is having problems creating directories. Here is an error
message:

# user warning: Smarty error: problem writing temporary file
'/var/www/vhosts/peninsulagospel.org.uk/httpdocs/college/files/civicrm/templates_c/en_US//%%93/938/wrt45c0d878bdde3'
in
/var/www/vhosts/peninsulagospel.org.uk/httpdocs/college/modules/civicrm/packages/Smarty/Smarty.class.php
on line 1095.
# warning: Smarty::fetch() [function.fetch]: Unable to access
/var/www/vhosts/peninsulagospel.org.uk/httpdocs/college/files/civicrm/templates_c/en_US//%%93/938/938D45F8%%Subject.tpl.php
in
/var/www/vhosts/peninsulagospel.org.uk/httpdocs/college/modules/civicrm/packages/Smarty/Smarty.class.php
on line 1265.

And more like the above. When I checked the directory structure I
noticed that the directories have been created but they are owned by
apache. Is there anyway of sorting this out please?

The server is running:
MySQL database  4.1.20
PHP     5.0.4
Web server      Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora)