Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Vista 'most secure ever' - Gates]

Ben Goodger wrote:
> I'm sure that's a misquote by the BBC or you, although I can't be
> arsed to RTFA.
Not guilty, that's a direct cut/paste from the article.  Besides a
deliberate misquote would be trolling, something I have never done or
would do.
> Microsoft have never been so idiotic as to make that claim before:
Key word: 'before'.  There's a first time for everything - with the
possible exception of a secure version of Windows :)
> although they love touting their bugware's enhanced security, etc, it
> would be incredibly stupid of them to attempt to advertise based on
> superior security over Unices.
Stupidity from Microsoft would be new.... how exactly? :)  Perhaps Bill
was preaching to the converted MS sheep and pretending users of other
OSs don't exist?
> Perhaps there's an asterisk in the direction of "while switched off"?
Probably :)

To be fair he doesn't directly say 'it's more secure than
Linux/Unix/MacOs etc', just that it's the most secure OS released and
the BBC have dropped a clanger assuming he meant 'by anyone'.  Either
that or they snipped the sentence and he said 'the most secure OS ever
released BY US' which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

All I can say is that he (probably) said as much as is quoted, and the
possibility exists some BBC technophobe misquoted by snipping something.

Kind regards,

Julian