Re: [LUG] Driver development and NDAs?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:51:25 +0000
Benjamin A'Lee <bma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 02:07:10PM +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Just saw this article on Digg.
> >
> > http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Kernel_hackers_offering_hardware_companies_free_driver_development#c4995019
> >
> > Apparently the kernel team have agreed to develop Linux drivers under
> > NDAs if need be for any companies that will co-operate. I'm guessing
> > these drivers will still have to be GPL'd though?
>
> How can it be GPLed if it's written under an NDA? Isn't releasing under
> the GPL basically as far from non-disclosure as it's possible to get?

Hopefully, my other email helps clarify it (AFAICT). The NDA doesn't
apply to the source code, only the design specifications that are used
as a reference to write the GPL source code. The specs aren't software
- the remaining issue is, therefore, whether companies will be willing
to let all-and-sundry infer certain elements of the specification from
the source code of the free software driver.

It's similar to all the text books on my shelf - they are not GPL, they
are normal publishing copyright. Many include snippets of source code
but if I don't use those directly and instead develop my own code using
the descriptions, documentation, rules and syntax described in the
copyrighted text, that forms a new work under my copyright alone, not a
derived work which would need joint copyright and would be unlikely to
be under a free software licence (I'd need the consent of the author
and publisher).

--

Neil Williams